I’m often asked “How To Get Started?” The answer is really simple. You just start. One reason for my success is that I’ve kept everything really simple. If you’re not careful, you can plan and plan and plan and plan yet never start. What time should I work out? What should I work? Cardio or Weights? Free weights or machine weights? How long should I work out? All these things are good questions but if over analyzed they can lead to you never starting.
Since I get this question often, I’ve decided to list some things you can do to simply get started. I won’t guarantee you’ll lose 30 lbs in 3 days. Neither will I guarantee you’ll drop 4 clothes sizes in a week. I will tell you that if you incorporate a few of these tips at a time, you’ll start to see small results. Those small results will lead to excitement. And that excitement will lead to momentum. And that momentum will create the desire to see more results.
1) Drink more water – You’d be surprised how that alone will help
jumpstart weight loss.
2) Learn to eat proper portions – Most people eat way more than one
serving of any given food. Thus consuming way more calories than
3) Increase vegetables – Vegetables help you feel full quicker.
4) Decrease processed foods in your diet – Processed foods are high
in sodium. Excess sodium makes it harder to lose weight.
5) Take the stairs instead of the elevator
6) Pass on the parking spots closest to building entrances. (That’ll
save you dents in your car, too)
7) Limit your sugar intake – You’d be surprised how many calories
8) Eat smaller meals more frequently – Increases metabolism.
9) Increase your fiber intake. – Makes you feel full longer.
10) Don’t get too bogged down in the details. Just start
If you notice, only 2 of those tips dealt with physical activity. 90% of weight loss is nutrition. I’m not saying working out isn’t important. What I am saying is that you can’t out train poor nutrition.
So take a couple of these tips and incorporate them. You’ll be pleasantly surprised where you’ll be in a few weeks.